Digital Pictures Index
Salford

3 June 11 - part one.  Salford Quays to Chapel Street.  Bright sun, on the hottest day of the year so far.

The first part of a walk from Salford Quays along the river Irwell, then along
Chapel Street, Salford, and finally back into Manchester.

Chapel Street is the main road through Salford city centre.  It was one of the main routes out of the Twin Cities to the north, the A6 trunk road.  Due to planning mistakes in earlier decades, when the car was king, it eventually became a six lane highway through which the traffic hurtled on the way to Manchester and which divided the city centre.  Few people bothered to stop, or invest, in the area and Salford centre became run down with a lot of derelict buildings, but there are some architectural gems among the dross.  A major scheme has just started to redevelop the area, starting with diverting the traffic away to other routes, widening the pavements and narrowing the road to a single lane in each direction (plus bus lane), and major refurbishment of public spaces.


The Millennium Footbridge and the Quay West building, Salford Quays.


The MediaCityUK complex from the Lowry.


The Lowry Arts Centre.


Erie Basin.  The NV apartments from the Erie's Rest sculpture.


The magnificent, recently restored, Ordsall Hall.


'Swans' by John Kennedy, Ordsall Hall.


Detail from a wall mural painted by local school children,
on the Irwell riverside path.


'The Mill' and 'Vie' apartment blocks, by the river Irwell.


Near Manchester city centre, the 'Spinningfields' complex across the Irwell.


Arlington House, Salford.  This magnificent building was once, would you believe, the
Corporation Gas Board offices.  Built c1880, by Thomas Worthington.
Now beautifully restored as high quality office space.


Detail from Arlington House.


Crest over the entrance to the Salford Corporation Model Lodging House.
A former hostel for homeless men, now luxury apartments.


The Magistrates Court, formerly Salford Town Hall, Bexley Square.


Salford Cathedral (Cathedral Church of St. John the Evangelist).
Built between 1844 and 1848 to designs of Matthew Ellison Hadfield
of Weightman and Hadfield of Sheffield.  It was the first cruciform
Roman Catholic church to be built in England after the Reformation
and was closely modelled on a number of noted medieval churches.


'Onion' seat in the Cathedral Gardens.


Salford Cathedral from the 'Onion' seat.


The 'St. John's Square Pyramid' by Janet Fitzsimmons.


'Sycamore Seed' by Andrew McKeown.  St Phillip's Square.


Church of St. Philip with St. Stephen, Chapel Street.  Sir Robert Smirke, 1825.


· Home Page · Index · What's New · Ordering ·